Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Concentration Camp + Switzerland

So last wed., the group went to visit the Nazi concentration camp at Mauthausen, Austria. It was actually quite erie. It rained heavily all day, which was appropriate. The camp was kind of like I'd imagined. Very symmetrical. The barracks were ridiculous for the amount of people they fit into them. Each bed fit three people, when the frame was smaller than a twin. And the labor they were required to do was carve out stones from a rock quarry and carry them up this enormous set of stairs to the top of the quarry. I had trouble walking up that crappy set of stone stairs, and I had on hiking boots. These people had to carry 100lbs of stone up the case without shoes. I cannot imagine. They also had the infamous science experiments going on in the 'sick quarters'. Anyway, the day was quite dreary, although it was nice to put a real perspective to the event.

I'm actually going to bed now, I'll fill in the trip to the Swiss land next time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment