Thursday, May 20, 2010

Orientation Day

So last night I didn't update because I spent the evening out at my first bars! Both bars we (Nick, Avery, Rachel, Erin, and I) went to were Irish pubs. Of course. Actually, most of the bars in the Salzburg area are Irish, go figure. Anyway, we spent most of our time (and money) at O'Malley's Irish pub in the back of the place with an Irish bar tender named Danny, I think it was. He was a funny guy, kept calling the girls "cheeky". We tried a variety of drinks, including the "Red Headed Slut", Nick, naturally, was brave enough to try it. We had a blast there and made our way home. The 15 minute walk was colder and wetter than we had hoped after a long night. But we were back and warm in the center watching The Hangover by 11 and then promptly wen to be at 11:30.

Waking up at 8 was tough, but a nice hot shower in the amazing tall showers we have here. At 9 we all attended a longer than necessary meeting covering all the rules and info about emergencies. After that I went to the store with Erin, Rachel, and Avery to get the weeks food. I can tell grocery shopping is going to take some getting used to. I tried real hard to plan out my meals. All I could do was try to think of the meal Whitney and I cooked all school year together in her appt. So I have stuff for about 5 different meals. I'll get better as I go I guess.

When we got back it was time for the main event of the day: The Salzburg Scavenger Hunt. The whole thing took about 5 hours. We were given a two sided piece of paper with psudo directions to places we couldn't pernounce and barely make out on the map we were also given. We were split into groups of 5 and set out on the adventure. We had to get pictures with a bunch of different objects, buildings, people, and places. This ranged from yodlers, to churches, giant red cows, giant chess boards, graves of Mozart, irish pub bar tenders, and castle gates. My feet hurt afterwards as we all met at the oldest brewery in Austria, established in 1492, he year Columbus sailed the ocean blue. There were a ton of little food stands in the brewery and three huge cafeteria type rooms where we could sit. Afterwards it was a long quiet and exhausting walk back to the center.

I went on my first run with my friend Brent. We both felt the elevation difference. We made it 50 minutes before finding our way back. Dinner tonight was on our own so the kitchen was full of everyone trying to find pots and plates and cook all our grocery food. Nick and I made pasta. Tonight its Faculty clean up for the kitchen. From now on kitchen duty rotates two people a night.

Tomorrow we start classes at 8! Saturday we're going to the Sound of Music's lake country where the house was. Sunday we're headed to the Eagle's nest where Hitler hid and eventually killed himself. Cool huh?

Awesome time so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment